Want to know the difference between someone who is successful or not successful?...
It's their mindset. Pure and simple.
We have many thousands of thoughts throughout the day, which are often entrenched, repetitive thoughts which may or may not be helpful to us. For example:
- I'm not clever enough...
- I'm too old/young/fat/thin...
- I'm not confident enough...
- I don't have the relevant experience...
We can easily fall into ‘thought habits’, but it’s incredibly important that we pay attention to what these thoughts are telling us. Even Ghandi knew this:
When we learn to change our thoughts, then we can start to change our reality.
So how can we start to change these thought habits? Well here are a few suggestions:
- Pay attention to what you are saying to yourself. Keep a diary for 48hrs and note down every time you feel a negative emotion and what negative thoughts go through your head. Review your diary afterwards. What do you notice? Are there any common themes?
- Also look out for passive language. How often do you say “I'll try” or “Maybe I will” or “If I have time”? This language is designed to protect us from our fear of failure. The trick is to notice that we’re doing it, and start to tackle that fear. Try saying “I will”, or “I can” instead. Now how does that feel?
- Ask yourself what you’re most afraid of about starting or running your business? Is it based on something that has happened in the past? If so, then the fear might not be based on anything that’s relevant now. For example if your fear is, “I’m not clever enough”, then challenge that assumption. Is this actually true? Who says it’s true? Was it the bully at primary school? An intimidating boss at your first job? What evidence did they have? Is it still true now?
Give these tips a try, and start see your success mindset kick in : - )
Speak to you soon,
p.s In my new Self Study Clarity Course, there’s a whole module about tackling your fears and replacing them with confidence, as well as a bonus welcome pack full of tips and tricks for creating your success mindset (currently on special offer only til May 31st).